Group work volunteer
Role Title: Group Work Volunteer
Reporting to: Bereavement Service Lead
Wiltshire Treehouse is a small charity based in Swindon which supports bereaved children and young people. We provide a range of support services including a family programme, a group for young people, training for professionals and for our volunteers.
This role involves working directly with children, young people and their families. Group work volunteers will be part of a team supporting a lead worker to run the group.
The role includes building trusting relationships with children and their parents/carers and encouraging them to take part in activities. Volunteers will support children to explore their grief by supporting them to take part in activities themed around memories, feelings, coping strategies and support networks. The role will also include general tasks such as setting up, clearing up, and making refreshments.
This role is within a small team which consists of paid staff, volunteers and trustees all of whom are passionate about the work we do.
This is an exciting opportunity within an expanding charity. Volunteers should have an interest in working with children, young people and families within a group setting and have a deep empathy for the objectives of the charity.
All volunteers are subject to an enhanced DBS check, at the expense of the charity.
CHYPS family group programme (primary aged children) - Each CHYPS programme takes place over 4 Saturdays and programmes run 2-3 times a year. This equates to a maximum of 12 Saturdays a year. Dates are circulated and volunteers are asked to commit to at least 3 out of 4 dates on each programme.
CHYPS takes place at the Saltway Centre in Swindon. We aim to run CHYPS from a Wiltshire location from 2020.
NEST group programme (secondary aged children) - Each NEST programme takes place over 6 biweekly Monday evenings. Programmes run 2-3 times a year. This equates to a maximum of 18 evenings a year. Dates are circulated and volunteers are asked to commit to at least 4 out of 6 dates on each programme. NEST runs from a venue at the Orbital Shopping Park, North Swindon.
Volunteers can commit to volunteering with CHYPS or NEST, or both.
- To work with service users within a group programme
- To make service users feel welcome and comfortable
- To build trusting relationships with service users (children and their parents/carers)
- To encourage service users to take part in activities to the best of their abilities
- To support each child to explore their grief in a non-judgemental manner
- To help with general tasks such as setting up, tidying up and making refreshments
- To work within national and local Treehouse guidelines and policies ensuring that practice is standardised, ethical and safe. This includes child protection, complaints and grievance procedures
- To participate in supervision with the Bereavement Service Lead both individually and as part of the Treehouse volunteer team
Key Working Relationships
- Children, young people and their families
- Treehouse Volunteers
- Treehouse colleagues
Skills and Experience
Experience of working with children and families would be an advantage, as would an understanding of grief. However, training is provided. Dates tbc.
Some of the children who have used our service have identified the following qualities as important:
- A good listener
- Accepting of the different ways people grieve
All volunteers must comply with Treehouse Operational Policy “Equal Opportunity” section and must not discriminate on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national grounds, sex, marital status, disability or any other grounds which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Health and Safety
All volunteers are subject to the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act. Volunteers must ensure that their methods do not endanger themselves or others.
All volunteers are subject to the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and must maintain strict confidentiality in respect of client records and information.
This role profile is not intended to be a complete list of duties and responsibilities but as a guide for information.