1:1 work volunteer
1:1 Work Volunteer
Role Title: 1:1 Work Volunteer
Reporting to: Bereavement Service Lead
Wiltshire Treehouse is a small charity based in Swindon which supports bereaved children and young people. We provide a range of support services including a family programme, a group for young people, training for professionals and for our volunteers.
This role involves working directly with 1 child or young person over a series of up to 6 1 hour, weekly sessions. These children will, for various reasons, be unsuitable for our group work programme. Volunteers are supported to tailor activities to each child's needs in order to help them explore their grief through themes such as memories, feelings, coping strategies and support networks.
Volunteers may schedule sessions to suit their availably, as long as this also suits the child in question.
Volunteers will need access to transport in order to meet children at home or in school (to be agreed with each family) and to attend meetings with Wiltshire Treehouse's lead worker.
This role will be primarily lone working so volunteers will need to be confident and able to work with the remote support of a Wiltshire Treehouse worker. Volunteers will be required to contact the parent/carer(s) of their allocated child(ren) directly in order to arrange sessions. This may also involve liaising with schools if the work is to be carried out within the school day.
This role is within a small team which consists of paid staff, volunteers and trustees all of whom are passionate about the work we do.
This is an exciting opportunity within an expanding charity. Volunteers should have an interest in working with children, young people and families and have a deep empathy for the objectives of the charity.
All volunteers are subject to an enhanced DBS check, at the expense of the charity.
Hours required: Minimum commitment 3hrs per week (consisting of 1hr session time and up to 2hrs travel time/admin time)
Location: The exact location of this work is to be agreed on a case by case basis.
We cover Swindon and Wiltshire but volunteers are able to specify their preferred area of work.
- To work with service users in a 1:1 setting
- To liaise as appropriate with parent(s)/carer(s) over the frequency, content and location of sessions
- To liaise as appropriate with schools
- To build trusting relationships with service users (children and their parents/carers)
- To organise a plan of work for each child, with the support of a Treehouse worker
- To support each child to explore their grief in a non-judgemental manner
- To work within national and local Treehouse guidelines and policies ensuring that practice is standardised, ethical and safe. This includes child protection, complaints and grievance procedures
- To participate in supervision with the Bereavement Service Lead both individually and as part of the Treehouse volunteer team
Key Working Relationships
- Children, young people and their families
- Treehouse Volunteers
- Treehouse colleagues
Skills and Experience
As this is a lone working role experience of working with children and families would be highly advantageous, as would experience of liaising with schools.
Training will be provided and is set for 4 weekdays in June. More details to follow.
Some of the children who have used our service have identified the following qualities as important:
- A good listener
- Accepting of the different ways people grieve
All volunteers must comply with Treehouse Operational Policy “Equal Opportunity” section and must not discriminate on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national grounds, sex, marital status, disability or any other grounds which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
Health and Safety
All volunteers are subject to the requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act. Volunteers must ensure that their methods do not endanger themselves or others.
All volunteers are subject to the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and must maintain strict confidentiality in respect of client records and information.
This role profile is not intended to be a complete list of duties and responsibilities but as a guide for information.